Thursday, November 20, 2008

What A Wicked Thing To Say???

Is it really a wicked thing to do.... to make me dream of you? Is it really a wicked thing to say...you never felt this way?

Chris Isaak very famously sang this line in his haunting hit 'Wicked Game'. Sometimes i listen to this song and lose myself to the tune. It transports me to the beach where they shot the video and everything in my life is suddenly black and white.Relating to the lyrics isnt uncommon, i know so many people who have been affected by this song in so many ways. Isn't it so poignant to say 'The world's on fire and no one could save me but you'? According to me that line defines the reason why desire puts the best people among us in a tailspin. Why does desire rule over so many of us? i keep trying to put it aside and so do you for all i know but in a moment of darkness we all succumb, we give in. Particularly heart wrenching and alarmingly realistic albeit cynical is 'This world will only break your heart'. I find it realistic as many of us have been wronged in matters of love and why i find it cynical is because the lyrics leave no space for hope and faith in believing that the world may break your heart but it mends it as well, regardless the line stands out and literally haunts you to agree. How simply he hums 'No, i dont wanna fall in love with you' yet its so powerfully conveyed, its such a helpless cry as if he is falling into this endless pit inadvertently ending up alone.

Sometimes i turn the lights off and throw myself on the bed and drown into the song and it always results in me connecting with the song in a truly subconscious and paranormal way as if it speaks to me. How many of us have felt the rush of excitement when somebody new comes along and then also felt helpless that things dont go the way you hoped leading to this sense of agony and heartbreak. This song captures anguish, remorse and indigninance all at once, showcasing pain in the simplest form, the lyrics are subdued and speak a thousand words. Truly this song is one of the most melancholic songs in history. Not to forget Isaak has one of the most soothing and plaintive voices in music. This is definetely a classic song, a storybook in itself. Here are the lyrics:

World was on fire, and no one could save me but you,
Strange word desire will make foolish people do.
I never dreamed that id meet somebody like you.
I never dreamed that id lose somebody like you.
No I dont wanna fall in love, With you.
What a wicked game ot play,
To make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you.
No I dont wanna fall in love, With you.
World was on fire, no one would save me but you.
Strange word desire will make foolish people do.
I never dreamed that id love somebody like you.
I never dreamed that id lose somebody like you.
No I dont wanna fall in love, With you.
Nobody loves no one.

Lyrics by Chris Isaak

5 comments:

Swap said...

aahh !!! loved that !!i almost forgot i was sittin in my living room....for a minute carried myself to the beach visible only in black and white and was envisioning isaak crooning to the beautiful girl in the song.... i reaally loved the post !!!! :) sooooooo heartfelt !!!

I Wear It Like A Tattoo said...

love how u and i must always be able to visualize our favorite songs

Small Miracle said...

Chris Isaak...hmmm...he needs help, i have a feeling his meds are not working! ; )

Lets look at doing some chirpy writing...shall we??

I Wear It Like A Tattoo said...

hahhaa..i try so hard to cut the melodrama neha..i tryyy!!!

Shewolf said...

erm, had read film reviews, but this clearly is a music review, well written that too~